[ixpmanager] MRTG graph

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Wed Nov 4 12:45:07 GMT 2015

On 30/10/2015 22:35, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> it would be best to use IXP Manager's mrtg installation to handle this.
> There's no real way of hooking a third party graphing system or even a
> separate mrtg installation into the code at the moment, which means that
> you will lose a pile of functionality if you disable this.

To expand on this slightly, if you're configuring MRTG from IXP Manager
then you can run it on any server. You just need to expose the MRTG
directory over a web server URL and provide the base path as
http[s]://monitor.example.com/mrtg (rather than a local file system path
such as /srv/mrtg).

You obviously need to secure this (by IP of the IXP manager server for
example).

We are working on a a more generic graphing backend that will work with
more than MRTG/log (sponsored by a bounty from DE-CIX). But either way,
IXP Manager will need to dictate the graphing backend's configuration /
format so it can pull the right information.

  - Barry

> It's easy enough to get working and shouldn't cause you any performance
> problems if it's set up as a duplicate of any other monitoring system you
> already have in place.
>
> Nick
>

> On 30/10/2015 15:15, Anibe Onuche wrote:
>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> No I want my graphs on my views not to reference the local mrtg stored in
>> my IXP manager.
>> Rather to a monitoring server that I had  configured my mrtg.
>> No need to copy the wheel.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Anibe Onuche
>>

>> On 10/30/2015 4:09 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
>>> So you want the MRTG graphs from IXP Manager to show up on your web site?
>>>
>>> I made a symlink from the public portion of my IXP Manager web server
>>> directory to the individual files I wanted to display.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> Mike Hammett
>>> Intelligent Computing Solutions
>>> http://www.ics-il.com
>>>
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
>>>
>>> Midwest Internet Exchange
>>> http://www.midwest-ix.com
>>>
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>

INEX Operations

Mob: +353 86 801 7669
Tel: +353  1 685 4220

| Open Source Solutions Ltd.    | INEX Operations Team                |
| 52 Sandwith Street Lower,     | Internet Neutral Exchange           |
| Dublin D02 WR26, Ireland      | Association, 4027 Kingswood Road,   |
|                               | Citywest Business Campus, Dublin 24 |
| http://www.opensolutions.ie/  | http://www.inex.ie/                 |