[ixpmanager] Multiple-IXPs

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Mon Apr 20 05:19:39 IST 2015

Hi Mike,

On 19/04/2015 14:41, Mike Hammett wrote:
> For those facilitating multiple IXPs through a common IXP Manager
> installation, how are you facilitating the inter-IXP connectivity?

Firstly, I'm not sure this feature is being used by anyone. It was
sponsored by a single organisation that didn't end up using it in the
end (mergers / acquisitions / etc).

With no active users / sponsors in ~2 years, it needs some TLC.

> Chances are, it isn't built as resilient as a multiple-location IXP. I'd
> imagine anything that's generally available would be sufficient?
> SNMP\smokeping\provisioning\S-flow would be the bulk of what goes over
> the "wire", correct?

The design was to use a highly-available web instance of IXP Manager
(two locations, master-master MySQL replication).

Then each individual IXP would have its own local server(s) for mrtg,
smokeping, route collector, route servers, etc. In many ways, this is a
scaling requirement anyway.

Each site would have some form of resilient l3 IPT / l2 ring to both of
the sites hosting the web instance.

If a user wanted to see graphs from IXP-C, those graphs would be
requested from the servers at IXP-C.