[ixpmanager] OpenBGPd

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Sun Apr 5 11:10:44 IST 2015

On 05/04/2015 03:43, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I see IXP Manager supports OpenBGPd for route collection and AS112, but
> seemingly not as a route server. Why is this?

Route servers are a different kettle of fish to a standard bgp stack.

The openbsd people made a decision not to port openbgpd to any other
operating system, which means that you can only run openbgpd as a route
server if you're prepared to run openbsd.

Whether due to this or other reasons, openbgpd is no longer widely used as
a route server daemon.  In 2009, it was running on ~35% of all euro-ix
member route servers.  Currently that figure is ~5% and dropping, so
openbgpd is very much a minority platform.

There is a port dating from 2012 in freebsd, but it lacks some features
that you'd want for RS operation, e.g. md5 support.  The port is pretty
hacky (large amounts of "#if 0") and very stale, so I would personally be
pretty uncomfortable with deploying this for a production grade service.