[ixpmanager] Inter-POP graphs explanation

Kostis Fardelas dante1234 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:30:40 IST 2015

Hi all,
we have 3 switches on which we want to configure inter-switch MRTG
graphing. As per the documentation says [1] we added the relevant
configuration in application/configs/application.ini:
mrtg.trunk_graphs[] = "1::core-sw1-sw2-lan1::sw1.gr-ix.gr to
sw2.gr-ix.gr (LAN1)"
mrtg.trunk_graphs[] = "1::core-sw2-sw3-lan2::sw2.gr-ix.gr to
sw3.gr-ix.gr (LAN2)"
mrtg.trunk_graphs[] = "1::core-sw3-sw1-lan3::sw3.gr-ix.gr to
sw1.gr-ix.gr (LAN3)"

and we skinned the trunks.cfg file so that it essentially has 3 stanzas:

Target[core-sw1-sw2-lan1]:
MaxBytes[core-sw1-sw2-lan1]: 2500000000
Directory[core-sw1-sw2-lan1]: trunks
Title[core-sw1-sw2-lan1]: mpla mpla 1

Target[core-sw2-sw3-lan2]:
MaxBytes[core-sw2-sw3-lan2]: 2500000000
Directory[core-sw2-sw3-lan2]: trunks
Title[core-sw2-sw3-lan2]: mpla mpla 2

Target[core-sw3-sw1-lan3]:
MaxBytes[core-sw3-sw1-lan3]: 2500000000
Directory[core-sw3-sw1-lan3]: trunks
Title[core-sw3-sw1-lan3]: mpla mpla 3

The problem is that we see exactly the same graphs when selecting any
of the 3 options under the drop down menu in Statistics --> Inter
Switch/POP Graphs

Is this some known bug or a misconfiguration on our side?

[1] https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/wiki/MRTG---Traffic-Graphs#inter-switch--trunk-graphs