[ixpmanager] APPLICATION_ENV

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Mon Oct 14 07:02:38 IST 2013

Hi Brian,

On 14/10/13 05:04, Brian Thompson wrote:
> https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/wiki/Installation-06-Apache-Setup
>
>  Noticed that on this page it is set to production but in the
> .htaccess file it is set to development

I just pushed a change to update this to production for consistency with
the documentation.

> Right now I am using a clone of the project.

So you're cloning off the INEX canonical directly? This is probably the
right choice for you. See updated documentation on this at:

https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/wiki/Forking-vs.-Cloning

> Which would be better to use? and what affect does it have?

'production' is the correct one in a production environment.

This is a Zend Framework setting and it dictates how the application.ini
is parsed. See the very end of the stock application.ini.dist as an
example [http://git.io/E1_fKA] - using 'development' turns on the
display of PHP errors which may leak some of your installation details
in a production environment.

'development' inherits all of the settings of 'production' first, and
then adds / overrides the settings as defined in 'development'.

In our own development environments, we tend to use a copy of the
production settings and additionally override database (and other
appropriate) settings in the 'development' section.