[ixpmanager] Installation problem

Rowan Thorpe rowan at rowanthorpe.com
Fri Nov 22 20:16:13 GMT 2013

======

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I just discovered the below
email sitting in my Drafts folder and *not* in my Sent folder as I had
expected (my email client did something very weird about a month ago
and I am still discovering some of the damage).  I'll re-send it as-is
so please read it in a "one month old" context...

======

> > I am referring back to this email to install a new machine.  I seem
> > to have missed this step again following the instructions on the
> > wiki.  At what part of the install should these steps be performed?
>
> They were within the now deprecated Perl-based MRTG instructions.
> I've now added them to the installation instructions at:
>
> http://git.io/5GoO2A

By the way Barry, as can be seen at
https://github.com/rowanthorpe/ixp-autoinstall/blob/master/ixp-autoinstall.sh#L614
(and as I replied to that email from Thorleif - because it probably
also applies to Ubuntu), Daemon::Control does also exist in apt as
"libdaemon-control-perl", and it is still used by
https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/blob/master/tools/runtime/sflow/control-sflow-to-rrd-handler

Shouldn't that be added to that line in the wiki you linked to?

BTW: A while ago I made an automake/autoconf-ed independently
installable bundle "ixp-sflow-to-rrd" which can optionally (by
configure-flag) use recursive make to download/compile/install
sflowtool, includes an improved init-script, etc. I was also trying to
Debianize it (but that has been lowest priority because it would not
be useful to the Debian community at large, other than for IXP-Manager
users), so the .deb part of it has stalled a bit. In the meantime do
you want me to send you the autotoolized bundle as a tarball to see if
you want to
integrate that somehow? It makes the sflow-stuff's install a lot
cleaner and more automated, and is portable due to the
autotoolization.

For example:

cd /path/to/ixp-sflow-to-rrd && \
./configure --enable-sflowtool --prefix=/opt/ixp && \
make && \
sudo make install

...let me know.
--
Rowan Thorpe
mailto:rowan at rowanthorpe.com
----
"There is a great difference between worry and concern. A worried
person sees a problem, and a concerned person solves a problem."
 - Harold Stephens