[ixpmanager] Multi Macs

Joe Wooller joe at waia.asn.au
Wed Jul 4 14:05:55 IST 2012

Hi Nick,

On 04/07/2012, at 8:57 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> On 04/07/2012 12:46, Joe Wooller wrote:
>> It is definitely something i need to look at doing. But for now I might
>> write some scripts to pull IP/Mac off the route server.
>
> I'd recommend doing this via snmp because your route collector will not
> have the same visibility into what's going on as the switches themselves.
> Bear in mind that this is sflow information that you're interested in,
> which means canonical mac->port assignment.  You'll only get that
> information from the switches.

I was going to use SNMP to pull the mac/ip combo from the RS. OID : 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22

>> Still not 100% on how IXP-Manager works, but would there be an issue
>> with adding the ability to poll/populate macs off the Mac Address
>> section. I will probably write it in PHP and add a section to add route
>> servers so we can expand on it later and add other vendors etc.
>
> Although we're pretty stalinist about mac addresses at INEX, you can see
> that the sql database schema allows multiple macs per port.  So does the
> sflow collector parser.  However, update-l2database doesn't currently.
>
> What happens when you query those SNMP OIDs on the junipers?  Does it hang,
> or does it return with something like "no such oid defined"?

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 - works (Standard IF-MIB)
1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.2 - doesn't work BRIDGE-MIB?
1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1 -doesn't work as above?

I did however stumble across this;
http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Juniper/EX4200/SNMP+port-to-interface
we were going to look at using this, but now it gets a little bit more complicated :P
While I can do it this way and extract the macs / port information, are you saying that the sflow collector paser will collect all the data from all macs and mung them together?
The way I was going to tackle it was Map IP address of peer to MAC, which would be mapped to the interface based on the information in the DB (manually entered). Which is how I have entered them currently.

Have you guys got any further to pushing out the rest of the code? I would like to start really getting into it. Perhaps for it on your git, and make changes based on juniper kit?

Cheers
Joe