[ixpmanager] Multi Macs

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Wed Jul 4 09:21:56 IST 2012

On 04/07/2012 08:57, Joe Wooller wrote:
> How do you handle multiple macs per peer?

We don't.  Ein port, ein mac.  No exceptions, ever.

Lots of our members use switches too.  We request that they disable
keepalives / cdp / stp / link local traffic, and we strictly enforce it.

Last time this policy saved our skin was three weeks ago when a member port
accidentally looped and spewed all traffic from them back to the exchange
fabric.  If we had permitted anything more than 1 mac address, this would
have trashed other members' connectivity too.  As it happened, they just
took out their own port and we quietly quarantined them.  A week before
that, exactly the same thing happened in linx, and it took out one of their
entire infrastructures and severely impacted another.

So, uh, no.  IXP manager assumes one mac per port.